Open 24 Hours


Call Us For A Free Consultation




How do I complete an Orlando car accident report?

Florida Car Accident Lawyer Team > Car Accident  > How do I complete an Orlando car accident report?

How do I complete an Orlando car accident report?

Car accidents can be sudden, terrifying, and confusing. However, it’s important to take care of any legal documentation you’re required to perform in order to avoid long-term ramifications. 

In Florida, you only have to report a car accident if it meets certain qualifiers. If your car accident does not meet these qualifiers and a law officer is already completing your accident’s report after taking your oral statement, it’s not necessary to file a report.

What kind of accidents do I have to file a report for?

In Orlando, Florida, you’re required to file a long form car accident report if your accident included any of the following:

  • Someone was injured in the crash 
  • Someone died in the crash
  • Your accident was the result of a hit and run
  • Your accident was a result of a DUI
  • You couldn’t drive 
  • A DI crash
  • Your car has to be towed away after the accident
  • The crash involved a commercial vehicle
  • The damage appears like it will cost at least $500 to repair
  • An property damaged in the accident appears like it will cost at least $500 to repair

If any of these incidents occurred, Law Enforcement Officers are also required to file an accident report.

What kinds of car accidents don’t require that I file a report?

If your accident doesn’t meet any of the following requirements and a law enforcement officer is already completing a report on the accident, it’s not required that you complete a report. It’s recommended to file a report with your insurance company though, even if the damage was relatively minor.

However, if no officer has conducted an investigation, you may be expected to complete a short form car accident report.

What should I include in my car accident report?

If your car accident qualifies as one of the ones that requires a report, you’ll be expected to turn it in immediately, with the fastest communication method possible. If your accident occured in a municipality, you can turn your report into the police, but if not you should send it to the nearest Florida Highway Patrol  station of the county sheriff’s office where your accident happened.

Florida offers both online and mail-in reporting methods, so you have a couple of methods to choose from. If it takes you longer than 10 days for you to turn in your report, you could face a non-moving violation. 

Overall, your report should include your personal details,  as well as the details of the accident. You’ll need to describe:

  • Where the accident occured
  • Descriptions of all the cars involved
  • The names and contact information for all drivers and passengers
  • The names and contact information for all the people that witnessed the accident
  • Proof of insurance for all drivers involved and other qualifying individuals
  • The name and badge number for the police
  • Names and contact info for all drivers and passengers, as well as information on the vehicles each was driving or riding in
  • Names and contact info for individuals who witnessed the accident
  • Name and badge number for the police officer investigating the collision

You can send in your reports via the mail or online.

What if I’m physically unable to immediately report an accident?

If you were injured in your car accident, or you’re otherwise physically incapable of making an immediate report, under Florida law you’re exempt from reporting your accident until you’re able to.


If your car accident qualifies as one needing a report, the state of Florida makes it incredibly easy for anyone involved to report it in a timely manner, if they’re physically able. 

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.